> So as a result, in the best possible world the maximum impact it can have
> on compile time, is ~50%. In practice it has a little less than that
> because reading and deserializing these GWT Java ASTs from disk takes some
> (smaller) amount of time and because in large modular projects there's a
> tendency for duplicate copies of the AST for the same type to accumulate in
> multiple GWTAR files (thus resulting in wasted duplicate deserialization
> time).

I did think of the duplicates in GWTAR, and that it might potentially cause
problems if a type is updated in one GWTAR but not another.

> Unlike GWTAR files the incremental compilation approach i'm working on
> makes/will make 90+% of the compile time split by module (the only time
> left in the monlithic phase should be a small percentage of generators and
> the final linking).

I can't wait to see it; when you are ready for testers, I would be glad to
help out.

> I don't want to discourage you from using GWTAR files, since they do have
> positive impact. But I'm just saying that I'm not putting work into making
> them easier to use or building easier build system integration for them,
> since their maximum impact is limited.

Excellent.  One other point is that the GWTAR speedup would help out on
clean compiles, and not just recompiles.
Obviously recompiles are where the real gold is at, in terms of development
time,
but anything that cuts down on CI hours at my work would definitely be much
appreciated.

@Johannes -> Your approach sounds like it has potential, and I would be
glad to contribute to anything you are working on in that direction.
Even if it won't help much or at all in the new compiler, we're all still
using the old compiler, and anything I can do to drop our
quarter-million/year CI bill would be time well spent.