Sounds like I'm late to party; I missed the 2015 meetup videos, does
someone have a link? (That will teach me to not login to G+ very
often...well played, Google...)

Not that my opinion matters very much (vs. the GWT team who's doing all the
actual work), but I'll +100 any plans for large/breaking changes/rewrite
for GWT 3.0/j2cl.

Everyone that is concerned about backwards compatibility, you can stay on
GWT 2.x. What we need is foundations for a GWT that will be awesome 5 years
from now. For the next generation of applications. That's who we need to be
worried about.

Yes, that means pain/being left out for the current generation of
applications, but that's how technology works. GWT 2.x will not suddenly be
taken off Maven central. Plenty of enterprise applications rely on
older/mature technology, e.g. jars/projects that aren't pushing out new
releases every 2 months with amazing new features. That's fine. If it's too
expensive to switch, then don't.

Sounds like a great opportunity for other companies to step-in and provide
enterprise support for 2.x as well. Google has never been interested in
that game anyway.

Someone mentioned early access to j2cl for framework authors to start
porting; I'd throw my hat into that ring. It would be interesting to see
what Tessell looks like with it.

Tessell very heavily uses UiBinder to drive its MVP codegen, so I'll have
to either port Tessell to the next-generation of templates, or (more
likely) port UiBinder to j2cl (using APT/something; maybe not 100%
backwards compatible, but at least something that is not "throw away all
your templates and start from scratch").

- Stephen