> Flex is a bit of an anomally, it's not Javascript really, but it's not
> Java based either.  When it comes down to what the choice is it's
> simple:  is it valuable to your development process to have a second
> language stack in your solution?  If your server side is Java, your
> client side is either Javascript or Flex (is it still called
> Actionscript, it's been a while).  Or you write your server in Java
> AND your client in Java, and allow your compiler to optimize the
> client code to it's application container...that's what GWT does.
> Plain and simple.

I think the main issue with any framework that "generates" JavaScript
is that it remains a JavaScript solution behind the scenes. Therefore,
it retains the limitations of JavaScript and some issue with browser
compatibility. Seems that Flex tries to accomplish something similar
to Java Applets by providing a solution that works from within a
plugin (Flash). Logically, that seems to give Flex a much more power
UI that can potentially perform and work better than any JavaScript
solution. So, that would be my question: are Flex developers so
excited because the "hype" of cute UI, or because they believe that
Flex is a better long term solution than any JavaScript based
solution, be that GWT, Dojo, JQuery, etc.?