I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are having the same problem that I had.
The sample code works in embedded tomcat but not in external tomcat.

You need to add code something like this:

if (observationSvc == null) {

observationSvc = (ObservationServiceAsync) GWT.create(ObservationService.
class);

}

String observationServiceURL = GWT.getModuleBaseURL() + "/observation";

((ServiceDefTarget) observationSvc
).setServiceEntryPoint(observationServiceURL);

Where ObservationService is your service class.  ObservationServiceAsync is
your asynchronous call.

/observation is probably /Foo in your case.

This is in your GUI before you actually call the function you have defined
on the server side.  If you don't do this, the application WILL NOT FIND
YOUR URL.