I was using smartGwt for a while but then reverted to Gxt. The main
reason is that smartgwt had issue when I was combining smartgwt
widgets and normal Gwt widgets (things that I had built and wanted to
reuse).
Things would not layout properly or would not resize... Gxt did not
have the problem. I also think that Gxt is better designed in general
as it is written in Java, where often you can tell that smartgwt is a
wrapper. It seemed to me that there was very little abstraction and
inheritance, making it difficult to look at a classes with lots of
methods.
Though the Data Source concept of smart is good when you have DB
intensive apps.