On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 nov, 14:40, Raphael André Bauer <raphael.andre.ba...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a simple best-practise question.
>>
>> We are using GWT 2.1, mappers, activities and views. Everything works nicely.
>>
>> But sometimes we want to use activities (aka presenters) and views
>> without a mapper. We could switch from an activity back to good old
>> presenter and a custom view interface that exposes eg. "Widget
>> asWidget()" or so.
>>
>> But we could also stick to activities and their start(...) method. Of
>> course the activity would not be managed and would have no life cycle.
>> On the other hand it would be only a single programming model and we
>> would not need to define our own view interface.
>
> I don't understand that last bit. Activities don't define any "view
> interface" (Activity != MVP, contrary to what the doc says); any
> Widget implements IsWidget.

That was misleading. Sorry. I meant our own "presenter" interface (aka
activity). Nonetheless you answered my question correctly :)

>> Does anybody have an advice how to handle that "best"?
>
> If you go with the "Activity model", developers will expect their life-
> cycle to be respected, which means adding tests that your "container"
> is not breaking it.
> If you don't use Activity, it'll be clear for the developer that the
> life-cycle is different.
>
> Other than the life-cycle though, I can't find any difference between
> the two approaches.

Okay. thanks a lot for that answer Thomas. I think we are using the
notion of using GWTs activities even if they are not lifecycle managed
for the sake of simplicity.

Cheers,

Raphael