Hi cri,

Thanks for pointing this out. Ironically, I added that note along with other
changes just a few days ago in order to try to decouple MVP from Activities
and Places. The GWT team, including Ray Ryan, doesn't think of Activities
and Places as an MVP framework. It's a way to manage browser history and
provides no base classes for presenters or views. MVP proper, as we're
currently defining it, is not concerned with browser history management. Ray
Ryan's talk in 09 and the previous MVP articles mentioned these concepts
together, but they are not necessarily coupled, and we're trying to reflect
that in the docs going forward.

At any rate, I hadn't noticed that the prior MVP articles discuss browser
history management and I can see how this would lead you down the wrong
path. We're working on updated versions, but in the mean time, I'll add
notes to the history management sections pointing forward to Activities and
Places instead.

Thanks again,
/dmc

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 4:43 PM, cri <chuck.irvine...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can only say that we've been very happy with the framework described
> at
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideMvpActivitiesAndPlaces.html
> ,
> aside from the issue I mentioned in my original post.
>
> Regarding database access and login/logout - those seem separate from
> MVP really.
>
> On Jun 30, 3:35 pm, Xybrek <xyb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, 01 July, 2011 04:13 AM, cri wrote:
> > > If you go tohttp://
> code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideMvpActivitiesAnd...,
> > > you'll see the note:
> >
> > > ******************
> > > Strictly speaking, MVP architecture is not concerned with browser
> > > history management, but Activities and Places may be used with MVP
> > > development as shown in this article. If you're not familiar with MVP,
> > > you may want to read these articles first:
> >
> > >      Large scale application development and MVP, Part I
> > >      Large scale application development and MVP, Part II
> > > ******************
> >
> > > This has sent two of our development teams off in the wrong direction.
> > > I would be willing to venture that it has confused others as well.
> >
> > > The problem is that folks go into the Part I and II articles and
> > > assume that GWT's MVP framework is being described and they go off and
> > > duplicate it. But these articles don't describe GWT's *current* MVP
> > > framework. Instead, the articles describe an approach to MVP that
> > > preceded GWT official support.
> >
> > > Personally, I think that the reference to these articles should be
> > > removed from the MVP documentation pages so folks won't go merrily
> > > down the wrong path as others have.
> >
> > What is the best MVP we can use with GWT? I am currently looking for
> > some lightweight MVP framework with some samples that will give me the
> > scaffoldings. With the connection to a database, through the RPC. I am
> > also trying to understand how login-logout fits the MVP scenario and how
> > when user is "logged in" the view is updated as data is modified in the
> > database. I cannot see any example having a RPC service which connects
> > to database, say through hibernate. - Xybrek

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, GWT+GAE
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/