Correction: when I said that a browser needs to support sourcemaps to
generate accurate stack traces, that wasn't entirely accurate.  What a
browser needs to support is the "stack" property of exception objects,
which provides a JavaScript stack trace with both line and column numbers.
 It's the GWT compiler that uses a sourcemap to derive original Java line
numbers and filenames from the browser-provided line and column numbers.
 This functionality is currently broken in GWT, however, and Chrome is
currently the only browser that provides column numbers.  And even if more
browsers add column info in the future, it's almost certain that their
stack trace formats will all be different, so we'll have to patch GWT every
time a new browser adds the support.  My proposed project will leave us in
good shape to be able to do that easily.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Alex Epshteyn <alexander.epsht...@gmail.com