Have a look at the I/O talk: http://youtu.be/Ul-LbfkJ-tw?t=10m20s

> As of today, nearly 8% of my site's visitors are on IE8 and close to 1%
> are still on IE7.  These are pretty big numbers for a high traffic website,
> and would translate into lost revenue if the browsers weren't supported.  I
> can't imagine Google pulling support for a browser with that kind of usage
> for one of its products. .  Here's the full data:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvMlWdpkpAA6dGdpa3lsZTVQWl9qcFJrWmZCZ0ZZb0E#gid=0
>
> Also, as you guys can see from the data, stack emulation is still required
> for 54% of my site's traffic.
>
> While I'd like to see users upgrading to the latest browsers as much as
> any developer, let's be realistic: WinXP is not going away any time soon
> (Microsoft dropping support for it isn't going to make people like my dad
> go out and buy a new computer).  Google Analytics is shows that 80% of my
> users are on Windows and 21% of those are still on Windows XP: that is a
> very big number!

There are many other browsers available on Windows XP, and you should tell
your dad that by continuing using an unsupported browser, his computer is
at risk.
See
also
http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/01/the-impending-crisis-that-is-windows-xp.html