http://winnowed.blogspot.com/2008/11/open-letter-to-dalai-lama.html Saturday,
15 November 2008 An Open Letter to the Dalai
Lama<http://winnowed.blogspot.com/2008/11/open-letter-to-dalai-lama.html>
Your Holiness,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. You must be very busy right
now, Your Holiness, preparing to attend the six day meet you have convened
for members of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile in Dharamshala from 17
November 2008 to discuss the future course of action for Tibet. I assume you
are not in the best of spirits, Your Holiness. You underwent a surgery for
removal of a gall bladder stone last month. You have publicly
stated<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7693052.stm>that
you have lost hope of reaching a settlement with China through
dialogue. Ever since March 1959 when you left Tibet and went to India, you
have been trying to obtain a better deal for Tibet and its people. You have
not only always stuck to the path of non-violence, but you have also
insisted that your followers do the same. All of this is admirable until one
realises that, as you recently admitted, you have not managed to wring a
single compromise out of China.

Your Holiness, are you worried that history will judge you harshly for not
having achieved anything much for the people of Tibet, despite struggling
for almost 50 years? I don't have an answer to that, Your Holiness. Before
we respond to that question, why don't we take a quick look at Tibet's
history?

The Tibetan language belongs to the Tibeto-Burman branch of the Sino-Tibetan
language family. Tibetan is as much distinct from Mandarin as Burmese is.
Tibet has always been an independent country. In the early 9th century,
Buddhism reached Tibet after a Tibetan king invited Buddhist preachers and
artisans from India. There have been occasions when Tibetan kings have
defeated Chinese rulers in battle. From the 13th century onwards, Tibet was
under the control of the Mongols who also controlled vast stretches of
China. It was when the Mongols controlled Tibet that Buddhism spread to
Mongolia. In the seventeenth century, the fifth Dalai Lama became the
spiritual and temporal head of the whole of Tibet. Tibet has had wars with
the kingdoms of Ladakh, Bhutan and Nepal, losing many battles and winning a
few.

Since the early eighteen century, the Manchu rulers of China have made
claims on Tibet. However, China went into a period of decline after that and
Tibet managed to assert its independence. In the early 20th century, the
British led a few expeditions into Tibet in order to prevent any Russian
influence in the region. The British forced the Tibetans to sign a trade
treaty which opened Tibet's borders to British India. In 1907, Britain also
entered into a treaty with Russia which recognised Chinese suzerainty over
Tibet.

After China was defeated by Japan in a series of battles in the early
twentieth century, Chinese control over Tibet waned. Britain, Tibet and
China held negotiations in Simla in 1913 and 1914 to resolve the boundaries
between India, China and Tibet. The negotiations broke down and Henry
McMahon, the then British Indian foreign secretary and the chief British
negotiator, unilaterally demarcated the Indo-Tibetan border. Approximately
9,000 square kilometres of traditional Tibetan territory in southern Tibet
(the Tawang region) was given to India (which now forms the Indian state of
Arunachal Pradesh). McMahon also recognised Chinese suzerainty over Tibet
and affirmed that Tibet was a part of China. China did not agree to this
Simla convention and hence, this treaty became a bilateral agreement between
India and Tibet.

Immediately after the communist takeover of China, the communists took over
parts of eastern Tibet and initiated a process of land reforms. Landlords
were publicly humiliated and at times executed. However, the traditional
Tibetan aristocracy was allowed to remain in place till public unrest in
eastern Tibet led to a military crackdown, which in turn led to the Lhasa
uprising. It was at that time, Your Holiness, that you fled to India.

Your Holiness, at the time of the communist takeover of Tibet, Tibet was a
corrupt and undemocratic theocracy. Monks held all the powers and abused
them. The peasants were oppressed and lived in extreme poverty. One of the
reasons the Chinese were able to takeover Tibet so easily was because it was
a backward, feudal and theocratic state. The blame for this should lie
primarily on the Buddhist clergy which kept Tibet in the dark ages. Your
Holiness and your predecessors were always at the helm of such a state of
affairs.

After Your Holiness came over to India, you set up a Government-in-Exile
consisting of a legislative assembly (the Assembly of Tibetan People's
Deputies), an executive (the Kashag), and a judiciary (the Tibetan Supreme
Justice Commission). You have categorised the Government-in-Exile as a
constitutional monarchy. Elections were held and exiled Tibetans voted. You
have gone into semi-retirement and if rumours are correct, you would like to
retire permanently. Considering the fact that prior to the Chinese take-over
Tibet was a full-fledged theocracy, I feel that you have done an admirable
job in injecting a decent dose of democracy into the Tibetan community.
Since almost all Tibetans are Buddhists, not many Tibetans have objected to
having you, the Dalai Lama, a living incarnation of the Lord Buddha, as the
head of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile. This would mean there is a shade of
theocracy in the Government-in-Exile, but I feel this was inevitable.

Your Holiness, your emphasis on non-violence and peaceful negotiations won
you not only many admirers all over the world, but also the Nobel Peace
Prize in 1989. Until you threw in the towel last week, you have always
stated that you would be happy with greater autonomy under Chinese authority
(on par with what Hong Kong has) and would not press for independence.
However, it cannot be said Your Holiness, that all Tibetans have been happy
with your approach. Organisations such as the Tibetan Independence Movement,
the Students For a Free Tibet led by exiled Tibetans and supported by
celebrities like Richard Gere have insisted that Tibet should be
independent. They have rightly said that China has been diluting Tibetan
culture by flooding Tibet with Han Chinese. Tibet's natural wealth,
especially its forest wealth, has been eviscerated. Most importantly, they
say that Tibet has historically been an independent state.

Your Holiness, it must not be forgotten that Chinese rule has brought some
benefits for Tibet. There are a lot more roads and railways and industries,
though it can be argued that all these developments further Chinese
exploitation of Tibet and facilitate Han Chinese expansion into Tibet. We
all know that sadly, in Tibet, the Han Chinese outnumber the Tibetans.

Your Holiness, even though you have won international acclaim and
admiration, you have not been able to persuade a single country to take
concrete measures for Tibet's independence. Measures such as imposing
sanctions against China and not trading with China. Please don't laugh at
me, Your Holiness. I do realise that the mere thought of not trading with
China sounds silly. Who can afford to not trade with China? It is not only
nation states who can't afford to antagonise China. A few months ago, the
London Metropolitan University awarded Your Holiness a doctorate in
recognition of your outstanding achievements in promoting global peace. The
threat of a boycott by Chinese students forced this British university
to express
regret for any offence
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/jul/09/highereducation.uk>caused
to the Chinese government.

Were things always like this Your Holiness? No, Your Holiness. It is only in
the last ten years that China became so powerful. Twenty five years ago,
China was an unknown country, tolerated because it was a counterweight to
the Soviet Union. Your Holiness, for a couple of decade after you went over
to India, there were many armed groups of Tibetans carrying out guerrilla
operations against China. These were not on a very large scale and were
funded by the CIA. However, they slowly died down due to various reasons.
One of the reasons was that India slowly distanced itself from the USA and
became friendly with the USSR, which meant that the CIA could no longer use
India as a base for attacks on China. Your Holiness, I wonder if your
insistence on non-violence as the only option has been mainly because you've
known that neither the USA nor India would provide the quantum of commitment
and support that would make it feasible for Tibetans to fight China.

Your Holiness, even during the period when China was yet to become an
economic powerhouse, you could not persuade Buddhist majority countries like
Thailand or Sri Lanka to boycott China. Even though Buddhists believe that
you are a living incarnation of Lord Buddha, you have not been able to build
up any following within the Buddhists among the Han Chinese.

Your Holiness, would things have been different if you have played a less
key role right from the time you went over to India? I doubt it Your
Holiness. Your personality and charisma gave the Tibetan cause the sort of
publicity and respectability that no secular leader could have obtained. It
is tempting to speculate on what could have been achieved if a secular
person who believed in using all options had headed the Tibetan
Government-in-Exile right from day one. At a time when China was fighting
the USSR, could such a person have obtained independence for Tibet through
armed action? I doubt it, Your Holiness, but we will never know.

Your Holiness, I believe that the head of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile
must not be the Dalai Lama. It must be headed by a secular individual. If
you are to head this Government-in-Exile, it becomes a theocracy and there
is no place in the modern world for a theocracy. However, the Tibetan
movement still needs your help. You must not retire completely, though you
have expressed your wish to do so. You must work with the Tibetan
Government-in-Exile in order to keep the Tibetan cause in the limelight.
History has been unkind to Tibet and its people. You have, in my opinion,
performed a stellar role in fighting for their rights. I don't think history
will judge you harshly.

Where do we go from here, Your Holiness? I don't believe that there is a
magic solution to the Tibetan issue. I wonder what advice you will give your
fellow delegates at the forthcoming conference.

There will be some hotheads who will want armed action against China. Around
eight months ago, in March 2008 there were orchestrated riots in Tibet.
Nothing much was achieved, but it did scare the Chinese government a lot,
since it was so close to the Olympics. Next time your followers try
something like that, the Chinese government might not be as restrained,
since the Olympics are now over and the Chinese couldn't give two hoots
about public opinion.

I assume muscular lobbying is an option. The Tibetan cause has supporters
and well-wishers all over the world. Your Holiness, things can change very
quickly. If the current economic recession were to continue, China will not
be able to provide employment for many of its restless millions. If economic
unrest were to spread in China, which now has a vast rich-poor divide, the
Tibetan Government-in-Exile might be able to bargain a certain degree of
autonomy for itself. There might even be a fortuitous turn of events which
enables Tibetans to get their country back.

I wish Your Holiness and the people of Tibet all the best for the future.

With warm and sincere regards

Winnowed, A blogger from the World Wide Web

--
Bobby Kunhu http://community.eldis.org/myshkin/Blog/