> Nick Hilliard wrote :
> Personally - and I say this as an IXP operator who has had yet another
> week-end ruined due to prolonged DDoS problems on an IXP
> fabric - I don't think this is an appropriate document for standards track,
> or even for publication as an RFC. The reason for this
> is that section 3.4 creates the expectation that IXPs could or should be
> involved in facilitating blackholing of IP addresses.

I'm with you here. I have never been an IXP operator myself, but I think it's a
bad idea that IXPs themselves get involved in the blackholing business. I habe
been very specific in the CBBC FAQ (1) that it was not something I thought IXPs
should use.

> It's not just DDoS that will be targeted here.

Correct. Although some blackholing by _participants_ in an IXP could be useful,
for the layer 9 issues you mentioned earlier it makes total sense that the IXP
itself would not be involved. Maybe a route-server operated by a completely
independent third party.

> Job Snijders wrote :
> This is a stifling argument. A blackhole mechanism is already today
> standardized as RFC 5635. This draft merely exists to standardize a codepoint.

I have to disagree. This drafts does more than to standardize a codepoint, it
creates a community with global significance. If the draft was about
standardizing the :666 part of it, I could support it (with the removal of 3.4).

As of RFC5635, I thought it was a step in the right direction. A draft that
reserves 1 digit in the community for BCP38 control (including a "don't care"
option) and some other of the remaining digits in the community for some other
knobs regarding the reason for blackholing would be the way to go, IMHA.

Michel.

(1) http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/cbbc/