> On Dec 18, 2017, at 12:38 PM, Nick Hilliard <n...@foobar.org> wrote:
>
> Job Snijders wrote:
>> You and Martijn appear to argue that the 'best path selection'
>> component should not be fiddled with, which leaves me wondering
>> whether we have any other methods to implement a track record ala
>> 'this path announcement passed through RS AS XYZ' other than
>> communities. Or are you of the opinion that the lack of visibility is
>> not a problem to begin with?
>
> communities are low-hanging fruit and non-intrusive, and probably not a
> bad thing to do.
>
> If you plan to spend time and energy dealing with the underlying
> problem, i.e. routing leaks, then I'd suggest continuing to work on
> getting IXPs to implement prefix filtering on their route servers.  It's
> laborious and thankless but will actually fix the problem in the longer
> term - and it needs to be done anyway.

I know that Job has been pushing for the above, perhaps not in your view
but in the view of others here.

I do think that having a RS emit a community saying “RS_ASN:xxx” would be
of value.  As mentioned in other emails, finding these edges can be quite
complex when doing operations.

If we continue to see the active threats, market forces will dictate the
resulting implementations.

I’d like to see improvements in routing security, but the path forward is murky.

Aside from AS_PATH & Communities, are there other ideas?

- Jared