Thanks Jakob and Robert for the insights,

> Not using BGP Capability to do it

That's a great point and does raise some fundamental questions on how this
information will be propagated, I had limited my initial proposal to only
considering propagating this information to direct peers since that was a
good starting point, and would answer the question of "Has this prefix been
accepted by my peer" in the context of turning up a new link. However, now
that you mention it I can also see the benefits of checking specific
networks for reachability, e.g. if the prefix has been accepted by Tier 1
networks for instance (although in that case it could be argued that an
in-band mechanism is not necessary).

> Changes cannot be signaled without restarting the session

Yup that totally makes sense for not using a capability, and especially if
this is going to be used to propagate looking glass information more than
one hop away, some other mechanisms should be used,

There are a bunch of ideas to consider here so I thought it'd be easier to
make a list:

   - New address family
      - + Innovative solution to propagate this information,
      - + I can see the case for making something more generic if we go
      down this path, since there can be other useful information to
propagate in
      addition to the LG URL, specifically things which the Operational message
      type wanted to achieve, but putting it into this AF instead of a new BGP
      message
      - Well known URL / .lookingglass / subdomain of bgp.io
      - + Easy to set up / could be something like peeringdb (which already
      does have looking glass URL, but that's not API standardized in
any way and
      is for human debugging)
      - -  Hands control / failure domain of this mechanism to a third
      party.
         - In the bgp.io case it would depend on .io being available and AS
         operators registering with whatever mechanism for announcing
the URL of the
         looking glass
         - In the .lookingglass TLD option, the TLD needs to be applied for
         and the ICANN TLD fees etc, then there needs to be a
registrar which will
         process registrations for this TLD
         - In both the above cases it seems like manual additional work is
         required, which does not yield direct benefit to the AS operator which
         makes me wonder how many operators would take the time to set it up
         - New optional path attribute
      - + In band, updatable anytime, propagates together with the
      prefixes, so upon receiving any prefix from a distant peer, the LG URL is
      also available, which the Operational message or Notification message
      extension aren't as amenable to
      - - There would need to be some mechanism to limit the propagation of
      this attribute to each peer per source AS, because otherwise it
would waste
      a lot of space in update messages repeatedly sending the same
URL on every
      Update message.
      - Operational message type
      - + Good design fit for the application here
      - - Seems to have never progressed past the initial -00 draft and it
      is a much larger effort to revive that
      - Adding a new Notification message type
      - This is kind of a middle ground between a new AF and a path
      attribute
      - + Not tied directly to Update messages so can be decoupled from
      that logic in implementations

Given the above I am most intrigued by the opportunities that adding a new
AF would provide, particularly since it could cover some additional use
cases, for example I can imagine in the transition to dropping RPKI invalid
routes and future routing security mechanisms, could be useful to relay
back information that a particular prefix has been dropped for $reason.

If the new AF is something that others see promise in I would be happy to
start drafting some thoughts on how it could work, and rework this
particular draft to use that mechanism.

Have a great Sunday,
Rayhaan