Thanks Nick, Paolo and Heasley for your insights,

> Consistent API that serves RIB data

Initially I tried to avoid defining the exact API of the looking glass by
pointing to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8522, but unfortunately it does
not strictly define the response format instead leaving it up to the
implementation what to return to queries, which IMO is not very useful for
automation.

As y'all have pointed out there is a wealth of implementations out there
that have tried to address this (and adding some others I've found):

   - Paolo's pmacct looking glass document:
   https://github.com/pmacct/pmacct/blob/master/docs/LOOKING_GLASS_FORMAT,
   - Birdseye https://github.com/inex/birdseye
   - CAIDA looking glass API
   https://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/looking-glass-api/
   - DE-CIX: https://www.de-cix.net/en/resources/looking-glass (which is
   using https://github.com/alice-lg/alice-lg)
   - RIPEStat's API, e.g.

https://stat.ripe.net/data/looking-glass/data.json?preferred_version=2.1&resource=2a0d:d740::/48

There's certainly value in going in and actually defining the data
interchange format, but maybe that's worth doing in a different document to
the propagation of the LG URL itself?

> Implementation concerns re access, security, load etc

I think whatever we come up with should take these concerns into
consideration but not constrain the operator, as, if at the end of the day
they'd like to restrict who can query the API that's a totally fine use
case, I can imagine maybe at an internet exchange the API is only available
on the peering LAN to members for instance.

As Paolo mentioned there is a problem to solve between the router or data
source and the LG frontend, I'm not sure what form that would take but I
would propose having that separate from the document describing how to
propagate the LG URL in BGP and the interface of the LG to external users,
since these two things can be implemented independently of each other, is
that reasonable?

Cheers,
Rayhaan