Jakob,

> Several years ago Ignas pointed out that you can use this
> information to know whether to install a backup on your
> side for the route. Backup routes in the forwarding hardware
> are expensive, so it would be good to know if your peer
> is using your route before installing a backup for it.

Let's see if I understand what you wrote ....

ASN1             ASN2 or ASN3 etc ...

R1.1  ---------- R2.1

R1.2  ---------- R2.2 or R3.1 etc ..

Assume your prefix is 1.1.1.0/24 You are advertising it from R1.x to R2.x
and R3.x

Q1 - This is your prefix (or transit one) so are you describing the case
where different IBGP next hop is programmed (or not) into local FIB of R1.1
as backup ?

Q2 - R2.1's policy can change N times a day (hint PFR) ... how often are
you going to probe R2.1 if your route is installed ?

Q3 - Exposing someone's RIB or even bRIB may be indirectly revealing their
policy. Last time I checked some operators were rather careful not to
publish their eBGP policies to their peers.

Thx,
R.