On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Perry E. Metzger <pe...@piermont.com>wrote:

> So after a bit of work (almost all with altering build configurations)
> I have a version of Growl 1.2.x compiling reliably under xcode 4.1
> based on the latest mercurial sources that were made available
> before the project stopped releasing source code.

To be clear here, we had an issue with regards to merging multiple heads,
where one of the heads was very old and had lots of conflicts. I think
that's been resolved, but I'm not sure. However, it's caused us to not be
able to push the source over the wall easily.

I was trying to push the 1.3 tag over this weekend, but that's when we
discovered the problem. Rudy and Peter worked on it for quite a while on
Saturday, but I haven't been able to get back around to it since then.

Anyhow, we're working on it.

> This version works quite reliably with all the applications I use --
> it is now what I run on my own desktop.
>
> Sure, it's understandable why this works. However, long term this shouldn't
be necessary.

> I've also patched the well known bug with HardwareGrowler that
> afflicted many people in the released version (i.e. that it crashed
> reliably under Lion when Wifi went up and down.)

We've fixed that differently if I remember right, however we have to get it
tested. Beta starts tonight.

> I didn't do things 100% "right" in that I only have the thing
> building 64 bit binaries for 10.7, but on the other hand anyone else
> can probably happily use the 1.2.x binaries from growl.info
>  I intend to maintain this stuff for myself for the forseeable future

-- are there people out there interested in what I did? I can put my
> patched version of the sources up somewhere that does mercurial
> hosting if anyone else is interested in it.

Honestly if you'd like to help with the project itself, we're happy to have
more people join up. Hit us up in #growl on freenode at any time.