On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM, <cr2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should have pointed out that when queried the state I was using
> .getState(true);

To close the loop here, we've reproduced a bug that would impact this
conversation: https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/issues/4170 .
getState(true) is currently broken and does not trigger a connect if the
channel was previously connected (there's a few cases it still will, but
they will be uncommon). It does work properly for a new channel, but not
for reconnecting.

Note that we still properly reconnect when doing an RPC. It's only the
getState(true) API that is broken.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oMcPJHLi7tHDM6WJFEmfjoLp5EE%2B%2Bx1_PxZ-YLPfuaUag%40mail.gmail.com.