Thanks for the responses.  I basically figured most of that state table
just by playing some with it :)
The true vs false on getState was still a  mystery.  As you indicate it
never did anything for me.  I think if it was working it would be
beneficial.  What I'm trying to achieve was prioritize which endpoints are
most likely to succeed to try them first.  Nothing I did took an IDLE to
RUNNING except an actual RPC but then that would be too late.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/edee91fc-9de0-4ad6-bb66-99e91d0cdd38%40googlegroups.com.