To answer part of my own question.... I am using my own gtk3 theme rather than the compiled Adwaita theme that comes with Gtk3. I set the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_HOME (export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/opt/local/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0), edited /opt/local/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/gtk.css to "@import url("gtk-main.css");" and then edit /opt/local/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/gtk-main.css to customize the theme. (careful... your theme directory may be elsewhere, depending on how you installed Gtk3).

To cure the context menu problem, I eliminated the margin on popup windows by adding

|.window-frame,
.window-frame:backdrop {
  box-shadow: none;
  margin: 0;}

to the end of the gtk.css file.  Without the margin box the selection problem
seems to go away.

This is not a cure... but perhaps a useful work-around!  The inspiration for
this idea comes from https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=36005.

jim...   Jim Charlton