On Fri, Feb 13, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Michael Rogers wrote:

> On 02/02/15 16:51, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> > I think this all works without being on a WiFi LAN of any kind. It
> > is similar to the code I have in Gilga.
>
> It turns out that my peer-discovery code does almost exactly the same
> thing as FireChat. If you run peer-discovery within range of a
> FireChat device you'll see something like this:
>
> Discovered TXT record:
>       Android_3a39 1e:66:aa:dc:95:88
>       firechat._firechat._tcp.local.
>       channel = 15
>       mac = 1C:66:AA:DC:95:87
>
> Whereas for a peer-discovery peer it would show this:
>
> Discovered TXT record:
>       Android_3a39 1e:66:aa:dc:95:88
>       foo._example._tcp.local.
>       bt = 1C:66:AA:DC:95:87
>
> In both cases, the Bluetooth MAC address is published in a DNS TXT
> record via Wi-Fi Direct service discovery. Reverse engineering the
> rest of the FireChat protocol is left as an exercise for the reader. ;-)

I had a change to speak with the Rangzen team recently
(denovogroup.org/main/rangzen-project/) and they are doing the exact
same thing.

Would it make sense to publish more than the Bluetooth MAC in there?
What about public keys, onions or other decentralized identity and
routing information?

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nat...@guardianproject.info