On 30/9/26 23:48, Timothee Mathieu wrote:
Hello,

I am a Guix enthusiast, I use it for my personal setup as well as for my research (in Machine Learning and Statistics) and I wanted to share my experience on this discussion.

I tried (unsuccessfully) several times to contribute to Guix and every time I fell short. Among these tentatives, I tried to contribute to documentation a long time ago (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66295), and in the end the ticket was closed prematurely. Remark that my suggestion from 3 years ago was in the end added to the documentation, not by me though. I also tried several times to contribute on other subjects and succeeded only once.

I think the current process is aimed at already established commiters and beginners tend to be shut down quickly (at least this is my feeling).
A wiki would allow easier (although maybe less structured) contributions.

Maybe this is a feature, not a bug, as Ludovic was saying. But in my opinion having a community more open to "easy" contributions (here for documentation) would be beneficial. IMHO a solution to keep things in sync with Guix can either be by having a small curated cookbook as it is done now, or by having more people (i.e. people that are not yet contributing to Guix) contribute and declare things "out of date" when it becomes out of date. Remark that the lack of "how to" documentation was already mentioned as one of Guix's bad side in the contributor survey https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2025/guix-user-and-contributor-survey-2024-the-results-part-1/

On another note, I would also suggest that a wiki could encompass other channels (I am thinking guix-science typically) and how to find other channels, which is I think important. I already advised several people, typically on reddit, on how to use external channels and how to find them (via toys website).

So this was my testimony as a (very) enthusiast Guix casual user who (several times now) failed to contribute.

Timothée

I've experienced this too and left for a few years. Actually I realised a few years later my patch was included but they never closed the bug or commented on it, so i missed it until I decided to search origin/master one day. It's like the development process is a state machine that exists between the brains of developers, and it can be difficult to grasp what the future plan is or if there even is one, even after reading hundreds of emails, issues, and pull-requests .

I've seen new contributors coming along to try help, not being able to figure out what to do, and then disappearing . I'm currently working on documenting my process for updating kde after someone asked how to do it but gave up. I'm however simply not sure where to put it. should a add sections to the contribution section of the documentation? id like to document  todo-list process of updating things, and use of tools like diffoscope.

I'd like to tag Ricardo and to this and ask: Since you are taking a break, can you reflect back at your process for updating R, look at your shell history, and ask what knowledge you have that someone else trying to update R themselves would have to need to know to learnt how to do it from scratch, and then document it all, if it isn't already?

I'd like to develop a kind of Guix Contributor tool, that goes beyond the contributing section of the manual, beyond the pull-request todo list, and is more of a programmable todo list that walks someone through defining their task and going through all the steps they should do, ticking off completion. it would embed all the intuition and knowledge of long time contributors that have gone through this loop in their brains many times over.

Reply via email to