This is gonna be a long email so please bear with me..

We currently have more than 1000 open issues on codeberg but not all of
them are `issues`, Many of them are questions, frustrations, open ended
discussions and very rarely, how-to guides. So having them all under
issues tab makes them very hard to find and isn't actually useful for
the community.

Github (sorry for mentioning) have a `discussions` feature that could be
fit here, I don't mean the exact copy but the implementation of it. This
is a long shot but we need a `discussions` tab in forgejo too.

So a basic rundown of it is as follows:

A user wants to know something -> they make a discussions about it ->
turns out it is actually a bug -> so we transfer it as a discussion.

And the opposite cycle can happen too from issues to discussion,

A discussion is not `closed`, a question is not `closed` but `answered`
quoting ryanprior (a fellow guixer) here:

------------------------ (cut here) ------------------------
if I were designing it, I would make the UI for creating discussions
much more prominent and funnel all potential discussions/issues into
being created as discussions, then make it a single click / api call to
convert a discussion into an issue or vice-versa
------------------------ (cut here) ------------------------

So to summarize how could we benefit from it

- We will have a searchable archives we can point to when searching for
  something guix
- Actual bug get filtered and have a better chance of being worked on
- Not everything is just thrown into `issues` tab

So you might think this email would be better off as a feature request
in forgejo, but making request as guix and making request as a single
user would have a completely different effect and Actually I don't even
want us to be dependent on it completely as we already know instances
can die but its the best thing we have right now.

Now on the topic of WIKI

Yes, Yes.. We have a great manual, I love it but we need certain pages
like Arch Wiki have, when I was setting up my system I actually had to
look at Arch or Gentoo wiki for something related to my system and this
is just me, I have seen many folks refer to ArchWiki for a certain
problem. So Our wiki is actually generated as manual its not like a
MediaWiki instance that Arch uses. It lowers the barrier of adding
stuff, A normal user can just make an account and add a page and people
can collaborate on stuff, What we have is not a WIKI but a MANUAL. They
are two different things. By the way discussion will also help in this
as people will ask questions and such and it can, then be used for
adding stuff in wiki.

I know some people might think we already have E-mail for big picture
discussion, Manual for wiki and issues for bugs, So why this person is
talking about these things but but THEY ARE NOT SAME. Not everyone sends
a e-mail, not everyone learns texinfo for this and I say this as an
active contributor who actually did all these for guix.

I know this is actual very hard problem to tackle as we don't have
PEOPLE, we have a very small number of people having most of the
responsibility but I wanted to send this mail to start a discussion
around this stuff.

As a Community Team (Thanks to Gabber for that Initiative) Member I am
looking at this from the point makes guix unapproachable and what have
been my own experience and things I hear from people on different spaces.

Now this is kinda beating the dead horse as I always mention this in my
other emails and messages

We need MORE PEOPLE!!!

Sorry for the long email but I genuinely love GUIX as a project and
community (even though we have seen fair share of problems in the
community in the past months)

HACK THE WORLD!!

-- 
~ Untrusem ~

In this cruel world, Kindness is punk.
https://untrusem.party

Reply via email to