Untrusem <[email protected]> writes:

> So to summarize how could we benefit from it
>
> - We will have a searchable archives we can point to when searching for
>   something guix
> - Actual bug get filtered and have a better chance of being worked on
> - Not everything is just thrown into `issues` tab
>
> Now on the topic of WIKI
>
> Yes, Yes.. We have a great manual, I love it but we need certain pages
> like Arch Wiki have, when I was setting up my system I actually had to
> look at Arch or Gentoo wiki for something related to my system and this
> is just me, I have seen many folks refer to ArchWiki for a certain
> problem. So Our wiki is actually generated as manual its not like a
> MediaWiki instance that Arch uses. It lowers the barrier of adding
> stuff, A normal user can just make an account and add a page and people
> can collaborate on stuff, What we have is not a WIKI but a MANUAL. They
> are two different things. By the way discussion will also help in this
> as people will ask questions and such and it can, then be used for
> adding stuff in wiki.

I forgot to mention "Zulip" in my mail, it was also set up for this very
"archiving things, better search, unified interface" issue. People
even made IRC bot service and packaged other things for it, but in the
end, it didn't take off. `Issues` and `Email` are still the most used
way people do discussions. I tried to make `Guide guix` stuff for it,
tried to do other things as well but no its not active`

Here is the link for it - https://guix.zulipchat.com (needs javascript)

This tells us the things I see in various community efforts, "Starting
something is easy part. but keeping is maintained, active is very hard. We
all have that big Announcement, but after that announcement comes
regular discussions, bug fixes, conflicts, moderation, keeping it
running". And this is hard.

Looking back at my email, if Zulip could be adopted, than in a way it
can solve things in my email but it is actually a totally different
thing, people won't make an account and then joint the proper channel
and then ask stuff in zulip, they will just make a codeberg issue.

I can be wrong on many accounts here, that's why I want people chiming
on this thread.
-- 
~ Untrusem ~

In this cruel world, Kindness is punk.
https://untrusem.party

Reply via email to