Troy replied to my comments to his initial mail: > >> Power: Cosmic Energy Generator, ruggedized with additional 200DR > >> advanced laminate. 3 generators, each 2/3 necessary power > >> > >> Motive: Grav Drive, non-limited (planetary surface to space) > >> vectored-thrust (includes contra-grav), 16g sAccel (w/ 300lb/cf > >> cargo load); Warp-drive, Jump-drive > > > > What about redundant 'engine rooms', each with power plants and > > engines, and the ship able to operate on one or two 'engine rooms' > > out of three or four? That way you don't have half your power plant > > capacity sit idle. > > I was actually thinking about running all three at 2/3 power. I don't > quite > get what you said.
I was reading it as "3 power plants, each providing 2/3 of the required power", which is a total of twice the required power. And why would you have extra power plant capacity, but no extra warp or maneuvering capacity? If you had three reactors powering three sets of engines, with little or no spare capacity, but with the ability to shunt power from each reactor to each engine, the loss of any one reactor and any one engine would cost you a third of the top speed, but the top speed would be higher than in your model. > Yeah, I kind of noticed that was kind of thin, too after I sent in the > initial design. Up to 512DR, or more? What percentage of your empty weight is hull and armor? That number has to "feel right", call it 10% for a high-TL yacht and 20% or more for a "working starship". > That was just an initial estimate based on vague memories of the TL7 tank > in > Vechicles. Going up to at least 4096DR Consider a rough docking with one of your shuttles. Should it leave a hole? Onno _______________________________________________ GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]> http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l
