Onno, I'm sorry for suddenly invading the conversation. I think your project is interesting, and I would like to state my opinion on the three options you presented earlier. It's your project, in the end, obviously, and you're free to handle it however you want. Please don't take this message as anything more than a handful of humble suggestions :).
I think at least some of the products of this project would benefit from being somewhere publicly accessible. The way I see it, there are two kinds of audience the project benefits - those who want to do something with it development-wise, and those who just want to look at the end result (be it PDFs or HTML pages). Would-be developers might be interested in contributing to the format itself, using it to publish their own vehicles, or building conversion tools. All they would really need "revealed" is the format definition and maybe a few sample vehicles. It would make it easier for them to contribute, and you wouldn't have to do all the work yourself. Another advantage of putting the definitions and/or code up on a public repository like sourceforge or github, though, is that if someone wants to perform a change you don't agree with, they could fork the repository (i.e, start their own project with the original's code as a base). Forking is actually healthy as long as it's not done out of spite, and both maintainers are willing to share future changes with each other when it makes sense to do so. The people who just want pretty vehicle PDFs would be perfectly happy with just having those published, without having to look at the source files. So you could go that way with the vehicles created by other people, or those you don't want to release as raw XML. -- Bira http://compexplicita.wordpress.com http://compexplicita.tumblr.com _______________________________________________ GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]> http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l
