Travis Watkins wrote:
> It would also tend to normalize travel times somewhat.
> Further from gravity wells = more energy for acceleration, so if
> interplanetary trips spend at least 80% on bubble maintenance,
> interstellar trips should be able to accelerate much more while
> between systems.(this could let interstellar become somewhat
> reasonable without making interplanetary insignificant, especially if
> bubble maintenance is really expensive and thrust is very cheap power
> wise)

I don't think that the numbers can work out properly.  I've been
referring to tidal forces because they're the one measurable effect of
gravity that's unique to actual, mass-generated gravity wells and
entirely absent from acceleration-induced pseudo-gravity.  But tidal
forces tend to drop off _rapidly_, even faster than acceleration
effects: for simplicity, I've been assuming that tidal forces scale
proportionally with the mass that causes them, and inversely with the
cube of the distance to the gravity source.  With said forces getting
weak that quickly, power requirements would tend to fall away quickly
as you put distance between yourself and the gravitational source.

-- 
Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang
_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to