This is hindsight, but I would have researched and bought the busk first before starting the corset, and then adjust the corset length so the available busk works.

Why do you have to buy the rest of the boning in the same place? Is there a minimum order?

The spiral boning is not that hard to cut. I'm talking about the type that looks like a flattened spring. You only need to snip two parts of the wire, with cutters that do not need to be as strong as those used to cut a solid metal bone. There's not that much metal to cut.

If you cut it a certain way, you end up with a rounded edge because of the way the wire is rounded. You can get caps for the ends, but I found the resulting rounded edge works well. It's slightly better than the white metal boning as far as not wearing through the fabric.

When I used the pre-made lengths of boning, I have a stock of a lot of different lengths. That way I don't have to order a specific amount and I can switch them if something ends up not the right size or comfort for any reason.

     -Carol

the front of my corset is 19 inches in total (I chose this pattern from Corsets and Crinolines because it was fairly simple but it was long enough that I could do things like Bustle gowns as well as crinoline fashions) so if I leave 1/2 an inch at either end that leaves me with an 18" busk so 16" isn't long enough (though it's 1" longer than Hedgehog Handworks) and they don't have 1/2" wide spiral steels in pre-cut lengths, and I don't want to have to deal with cutting up the boning myself.
Elizabeth