Quoting Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Kathy Page wrote:

I found this painting in an Italian book (funny, that given the
language the citation I can't read below the painting is written in.
*G*) And fell in love with this dress, but I can't find barely
anything about the painter, the sitter or the location of the painting
in vain hope of finding a colour copy. Does anyone have any clues?
http://ca.geocities.com/absynthe30/avatars/bahuet.jpg

No clues, but something doesn't feel right about the portrait; the face
seems Victorian. It may be a later copy, or perhaps if this is an older
book (pre-photography), it is an engraving intended to show the painting.
I can't tell from the online version whether it is an engraving, but that
should be obvious from the book itself. At worst it is a forgery, but that
is less likely than the alternatives. At best it is indeed c. 1540, and
just an unusual style for the time. A citation for the book you found this
in, with year, might be useful.

I have to say that I've given up trying to "feel" out paintings.  There
are more than a few that I've seen that individually "feel" like later
works (and I can't call any to mind at the moment, I'm sure that
they'll come to me -- ah, this one by Paris Bordone
http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/BordoneHandkerchief.jpg
has a Victorian feel to it, but so do many of his other works) but when
taken as a body of work, it's easy to see that it's probably just a
stylistic thing.

I can't find Jean Bahuet in my dictionary of artists, nor on a websearch,
save in 18th and 19th c. geneaologies, which might of course be referring
to some other Jean Bahuet(s).

Actually, it's Giovanni Bahuet.  He also did this portrait of Vincenzo
Gonzaga

http://www.kingstudio.it/pagine%20Abiti%20ricostriti/vincenzo-abito.htm

And according to the program booklet for the "Splendors of the
Renaissance: Prncely attire in Italy" exhibit, "the most spectacular is
the cronation regalia of the 25-year old Vincenzo, who was invested as
Duke of Mantua on 22 Septamber 1587.  His sumptuous and extremely
costly costume is described in a contemporary chronicle by Federigo
Amadei (see p. 14).  It is precisely recorded in the official
coronation portrait by Giovanni Bahuet, which memorializes the
significant event and the clothing worn for it.  Knows as "Giovanni
Fiamengo pittore," Bauhet was a noted Flemish portratist who was in
Vincenzo's service from 1585 to 1597 (Pagani)."

--Robin

-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]