Here's the relevant quote from:
<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=2&version=31>
Including the bit which your source says may have been
tweaked quite a bit:

Luke2/4-7
"So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in
Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David,
because he belonged to the house and line of David. He
went there to register [for taxes] with Mary, who was
pledged to be married to him and was expecting a
child. While they were there, the time came for the
baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn,
a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a
manger, because there was no room for them in the
inn."
[My insertion]

So, according to Luke, no Marian connections in
Bethlehem.

Ann in CT