On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Saragrace Knauf wrote:

> I started with a softly stuffed tube which gave a reasonable
> silhouette, but I'd like to hear what you have been successful with.
>
> Robin?  I know you have done this - but didn't see any construction
> details in your posts.

Odd, I thought I had that in there -- I remember talking about it on-list,
but I don't see it in the posts I collected on my website. It may have
been in later postings after I put together the collection.

I tried a cylindrical tube, but it didn't work for the size I needed; it
wouldn't bend well enough without too much creasing/bunching on the inner
curve. I also wanted it to be narrower and tapered in the front, and much
larger at the sides and back. So I tried two crescents, a top and bottom
one, with the bottom one larger for more depth and the top one smaller for
less roundness and a slightly flatter surface. (Think of a bagel with a
vertical cut at center front, slice the whole thing in half to make two
rounds, and then curve off some of the outer edge as you approach the
center front. Two crescents.)

That worked but not as well as the next iteration, in which I used roughly
trapezoidal wedges to produce the two crescents. (Think orange sections
with the tips cut off, and an "equator" line dividing the top and bottom.)
That not only allowed me to do some shaping along the sides of the
trapezoids, smoothing out the curves to create the correct shape, but also
to cut the entire thing out of a fraction of the fabric that I needed for
cutting full crescent shapes. It was very easy to tweak the fit, too,
because I had a lot of seam lines for adjustment.

In our case, the outer-edge seam line made a good place to attach a casing
for bents to create a stiffer rim, but this isn't evident in all the
images, and doesn't appear necessary for yours. You also probably don't
want much flattening of the top surface, so you might cut your top and
bottom halves the same proportions. But you'll still want to taper almost
to nothing in the front.

Here's a thread where I talked a little about some visual documentation
for the seaming:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Fashion/index.cgi?l=hcos03&s=bum%20roll&Cmd=Match+1

See postings of March 16 and following.

If you call up the entire month as a text file:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~fashion/archives/hcos03/hcos03.cl

...you can find continuing discussion by searching on "bum roll".

If my description above doesn't cover the issue you were aiming at, please
tell me.

--Robin