Kate wrote:
>I find this is still true. Here in the UK "aubergine" is usually a dark
>purple (the colour of what you Americans call eggplants), but in a
>recent catalogue I've seen the name applied to a lighter
>pinkish-purple.

I used to have a housemate who was a professional seamstress, and who got a lot
of her business from weddings. She has a story of a bride who ordered her
attendants' dresses in advance (as one does) and chose the color from a small
color chip. When the dresses arrived, the bride _and_ the bridesmaids all said
"Eeeeeeeuuuuuuwwwww!" because no one had really visualized the color correctly
from that small sample, and the color was "aubergine" --exactly the dark,
slightly greenish purple of an eggplant..... So my housemate got the job of
making three bridesmaids' dresses in two weeks from some OTHER color. <grin>

She also commented that brides who intend to make their own dresses are the
seamstress' best friend, because either they run out of time or they buy $50
per yard lace and are afraid to cut into it.

On the color descriptions angle, I know Penny Ladnier used to work on color
names -- have you tried her website to see if any of her work is posted?