Just *off* the worktable (I can't have a dummy until we either buy a house or
decide to live in two separate condos; a woodworker and a string geek bring too
much equipment to an 800-square foot apartment) is the petticoat to match the
cute 18th-century jacket I had the Silly Sisters make for me. They are made
from one of the Indian cottons I sell; I'm hoping to try the outfit on this
week and get some pictures up on the Web site. yeah, I know, having somebody
else make the jacket is cheating. Back ON the worktable now is the scandalous
turmeric yellow with red springs cotton gown I'm making out of a nine-yard
sungudi sari. This one is also 18th century; the fabric is too thin for the
amount of abuse the gown will get, so I have backed it througout with a yellow
cotton/linen blend, and am sewing the two layers as if they were one, rather
than as if it were lined -- though since I started I've found rather a lot of
paintings that appear to show gowns lined in the skirts. The!
  yellow
 is the same as in this one:
http://timetraveltextiles.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTT&Product_Code=S174&Category_Code=S
 but the sprigs are a more orangey red and are, well, flowery sprigs instead of
circles and squares. I've got the back pleats done and have sewn the bodice
fronts to the back, but still have to add the rest of the skirts, finish the
front, make sleeves, and then perhaps trim it.

But my happiest recent accomplishment is that I finally finished a second 18th
century linen shift. Although the gowns are often held together with the
flimisiest of construction, 18th-century shifts were built like brick
outhouses; so it's taken me forever to get around to nailing one together. I've
ordered some beautiful silver sleeve buttons to celebrate:
http://www.historicdelights.com/misc.htm
Since I've started cooking at re-enactor events, I'm also making aprons every
chance I get.

I've also got twelve yards of a blue brocade that will someday be my first 18th
c saque-back.
Usually I spend the winter doing Dark Ages-early medieval sewing, but lately I
keep finding fabrics that inspire 18th century things instead. So competing
with the saque is a pretty blue and brown Norwich wool stripe from which I hope
to make a cozy everyday gown for the cooler months. I think when I get back to
my Angles and Saxons and Vikings it'll be weaving rather than stitching for a
while. I want to make some winingas and some belt and fillet tapes. I may make
some hoods/coifs, too; and of course I need some more medieval shifts, too!

L'shanah tovah to all!

Lauren
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.timetraveltextiles.com