From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Claire Clarke
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:33 AM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: Re: [h-cost] More black ruffs?

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:08:06 -0800 (PST)
From: mlysett <mlys...@yahoo.com>
To: h-costume@mail.indra.com

I just happened to borrow Strong's English Icon, so I thumbed through it
looking for black ruffs.  There aren't any all-black ruffs, but there are a
few edged in black and a few more that are heavily embroidered with
blackwork.  I could only find three online:

http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/ThomasHoward1.jpg
http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/FrancisSidney.jpg
http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/blackmary.jpg

If you'd like more pictures, email me privately and I'll see if I can get
them scanned.

Margaret Roe

Any call on what the thingy on the floor by the feet of Francis Sidney is?
It almost looks like a shield, except it is covered in the same fabric as
her gown and kirtle, And lined with fur.

Claire