I wish I could find the little fashionable hat, but the drawing I saw was in a book a long time ago.... Anyway, here's Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne in just the type of hat. Note the feather cockade (continues outside the picture). The lady's hat was a miniature version and rode in her coiffeure.
http://www.si.umich.edu/SPIES/b-portrait-burgoyne.jpg

--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer