In a message dated 7/5/2009 5:30:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bear_ja...@msn.com writes:

A   Villager shirtwaist was a dress, usually cotton, with a full skirt.
Villager was the brand - they had a whole line of rather preppy style clothes
 that were more expensive than other clothes and only were made up to a
size  11.

Whoops--sorry for the blank post.  Yes, Villager was a brand.  A
shirtwaist, at least in 1960s terminology, is a dress with a fitted
bodice--bust  and
waist darts--and buttons down the center front--attached to a skirt.   It
could be full in the 1950s or early 1960s, but by the late '60s was often
A-line.  The fabric was often a cotton with a floral sort of serpentine
print.  To make the style work with a full skirt, there was a slit placket
opening at center front, or, sometimes, an underarm zipper.  I never  had an
authentic Villager dress, but merely homemade styles (that I made  myself.)  I
still have the pattern I used, Simplity 8296 from 1969.   The A-line view had
the underarm zipper.  I think I used another pattern  for the full-skirted
view, which had a slit placket but no underarm  zipper.

Dresses could have short sleeves with a turned up cuff, or long sleeves
with a button cuff, and a convertible collar.

Ann Wass