Ah, but the phrase that I was responding to was that "much of what we think
 of as the 1960s really happened in the 1970s," not necessarily just the
hippies of the 1960s.

And certainly things happened in different places at different times.   For
instance, no one wore a grannie dress at my suburban St. Louis high school
until after I graduated, in 1969.  When my classmates weren't wearing
Villager shirtwaists, they did often tend toward the "mod" look--my  first pair
of pantyhose (as opposed to stockings) were pale orange and had a  diamond
pattern. Double-breasted, so-called "Edwardian" tuxedos were the style  of
choice for many of my male classmates at the prom, again in the spring of
1969, or so I understood from their discussion--I didn't go (I wasn't
anti-prom--I couldn't get a date, and one didn't go without one).  I went  to a
private liberal arts college that had a dress code, skirts only, right  up
until
the fall of 1969, when I started.  So no one wore jeans to class  until
then.

Ann Wass