On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Sylvia Rognstad <syl...@ntw.net> wrote:
> Here's a question for those (like me) old-timers out there.  I may be going
> to a 1960s hippies style event and if so, need to wear a costume.  My
> recollection isn't so good.  Remember what they said: "If you can remember
> it, you weren't really there"?    Anyhow, I'm trying to remember when long
> skirts and dresses came in.  I can only recall wearing them in the 1970s,
> but my legs, not being what they used to be, definitely do not want to be
> seen in a mini skirt, which is all I can remember wearing in the late 60s.
>  Along with bell bottom pants, of course, which is an option, but I prefer a
> dress.
>
> What do you early boomers recall?
>
> Sylvia R

I had a couple of the long dresses in the late 1960s while i was in high school
- i graduated in the spring of 1967. My family lived in the suburbs of Chicago.

They were sometimes called "granny dresses". One had a high standing collar and
short puffy sleeves, a high waist, and a skirt that was ankle length and was
not very full. It was made of red cotton with a small all-over print in black,
of a sort Americans call calico. I got my granny dresses in 1965.

Here's a photo of one (not mine)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37511...@n06/3524944584/

I was at an all-girls boarding school in northern Illinois. We did not wear
uniforms except for certain school functions. We wore our normal clothes to
classes. I wore a granny dress to class and got in trouble (i wasn't the only
girl with them, but i was much more likely than any other to push the
boundaries - i was in student court for something nearly every week). After
some wrangling, we were given permission to wear them to dinner. After that
many girls showed up in them to dinner.

When the first Human Be-In was held (spring of 67), they occurred more or less
simultaneously in several cities. I went to the one in Chicago in ?Grant
Park?... i was even on TV (although not my face - but i recognized my dress) I
was wearing an ankle length violet cotton dress with a somewhat scoop neck and
a high waist. The sleeves were narrow on the upper arm and just above the elbow
the lower sleeve was sewn in - it was fairly full. ISTR that the upper sleeve
was pin-tucked and the front of the bodice may have been, as well. While the
skirt was long, it was not particularly full.

By the fall of 67 i was living in NYC. I had a dress of that new-fangled
polyester knit with a swirly very Pucci-like pattern in black and white and
turquoise and cobalt and purple. It was long and the skirt was a bit fuller
than the other long dresses i've mentioned. It had a deeper scoop neck and
wrist length fairly narrow sleeves. IIRC, it had center front and back seams as
well as side seams. The front was somewhat fitted - it may have had bust darts,
i don't remember. I used to wear it to clubs. One, the Electric Circus, would
let a bunch of us in for free early, before it opened, so the Bridge and Tunnel
crowd, coming from New Jersey or New York suburbs would find the hippies were
already there. The Grateful Dead even played there at least once - i was
there...

Of course, by the spring of 1967 i had a nice selection of mini-dresses, most
from Paraphernalia, a very hip fashion boutique. These were generally mid-thigh
length with long sleeves of various interesting shapes. Some were puffed at the
sleeve cap, with a somewhat tight fitting band around the middle of the upper
arm, then belling from there to a bit above the wrist.

So to my recollection, you have a choice: mini-dress with long sleeves, or long
but not loose dress.

I have noticed that many of the items of clothing being called "60s" or
"hippie" in retro revival fashion are either more 70s and disco or they are
60s, but actually mod - and more European fashion than hippie.

Anahita