I know there are people who disagree, but, just as I think organic
chemistry is necessary for pre-med students (and not just a "flunk-out course,"
 as
I once heard someone describe it), I think a knowledge of textile chemistry
 is a real asset, if not an outright necessity, for students of historic
costume.  A knowledge of fibers, yarns, fabrics, dyes, and other finishes
can only enhance your knowlege.  Of course, the humanities are important,
too.  At Maryland, our core curriculum included textile science, textile
economics, and (groan) statistics, and we chose two supporting areas.   After a
false start in theater (the dept. had just hired an new faculty member  who I
found wanting, and in fact she didn't stay past her three-year contract),
I went with history and American studies.

However, keep in mind that my undergraduate and master's degrees were both
in home economics, so chemistry was always a given.

But Monica, your literature program sounds like great fun.

Ann Wass