annbw...@aol.com wrote:
I know there are people who disagree, but, just as I think organic chemistry is necessary for pre-med students (and not just a "flunk-out course," as I once heard someone describe it), I think a knowledge of textile chemistry is a real asset, if not an outright necessity, for students of historic costume. A knowledge of fibers, yarns, fabrics, dyes, and other finishes can only enhance your knowlege.

Considering that modern technology has considerably affected fibers, dyes, and finishes, how useful is a modern course on same to someone only interested in historic costume? I am aware that even natural dyes, etc. have not been the same everywhere and everywhen. But if a modern course is largely devoted to synthetic fibers and the dyes for them, and modern processes, preparing students for practical careers in modern factories, how useful is it to the historian?

My sister-in-law got a PhD in "textile technology" and then spent years as a successful manager in modern factories. She knows absolutely zip about period processes. She doesn't even understand how home sewers do things, just how factories do them.

Fran
Lavolta Press
New book on 1820s clothing!
http://www.lavoltapress.com