And anyone who's had an antique silk shatter in their hands would benefit from an understanding of silk post-processing.

Of course, but my point is, do they teach you about _antique_ silk processing in such programs? My sister-in-law certainly got no historical education--they gave her practical information that would enable her to get a good job in a modern factory.

I certainly think, since many topics are fascinating, that the student has to made a decision as to whether they are going to graduate school strictly because they enjoy learning, or because they need the degree for a job after graduation; and that the courses they take should be chosen with that goal in mind.

Fran
Lavolta Press
New book on 1820s clothing!
http://www.lavoltapress.com