Hi Robin!

This may or may not be useful. I went digging through one of my Old
English dictionaries and chanced upon this bit:

"HENT. To lay hold of, to catch, to grasp." Quotations from Spencer and
Chaucer are offered, along with "The word was very common from the 10th
to 17th century, and developed further meanings [listed]." I'm just
wondering if "hent" might be a root word for "hennin," considering the
fact that it must grip the hair in order to stay put.

Let me know if you want the full excerpt. The source is:

Shipley, Joseph T. _Dictionary of Early English_. Patterson, NJ;
Littlefiedl, Adams, and Co., 1963.

Arlys