By the way, has anyone looked into whether "hennin" is a personal name? Someone prominent who wore the head-dress? Or maybe some common first name or nickname (the way "moll" got associated with prostitutes)? Or a place name--somewhere the head-dresses or materials used to make them were made?

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

What's bothering me here is, why should these headdresses be associated
with roosters? Roosters are male, and these are female fashions. Yes, I
know a cock has a "comb" on its head but still, this seems to be a
stretch. Even if it's an insult, it seems to me that there should be
some kind of rationale behind the term and that should be recognizable.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com