At 12:13 PM 1/29/2010, you wrote:
Sylvia, I think your question entirely appropriate for this list. I have a whole archive of historic patterns that I'd like to grade (none of them is even close to my own size!), but have never attempted. If you hear of a grader/service, I might be interested, too. Many thanks for posting!
    == Marjorie Wilser =:
On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote: > > I know this question isn't related specifically to historic > costuming, but I think some of you have made businesses from your > passion for such and may have needed to grade their patterns up and > down for sale. In the past, I have done my own grading, but I've > never really learned totally how to do it and I have some ideas for > new designs that, if they sell, I may need to size them up or down > and these may be too complex for me to try on my own. Does anyone > know of any professional graders? I live in Colorado, but I imagine > I could ship my patterns out of state if I can't find someone here. > >
 Sylvia Rognstad

When I first made a dress for Dickens Faire and Sutter's Fort about 30 years ago (!), there were no commercial patterns anywhere near my size or shape. Given that I am very short-waisted, I found it easier to start from my own fitted sloper and then make changes to give the cut of the dress I wanted. For example, a standard sloper has a side-bust dart; in the 19th century dresses the bust darts are from the waist; so I changed the bust darts to match my desired look. You might find this easier than grading a historical pattern, I certainly did.

Joan Jurancich
joa...@surewest.net