On 5/13/2010 11:29 AM, Sharon Collier wrote:
I see the internet/emails/ h-costume list as a group of friends. Someone
says,"I have a book with an interesting picture." Someone else wants to
borrow the book to look at the picture. If we were in the same town, the
other person could just come to my house and look at the book, but since we
live hundreds or thousands of miles apart, we scan the relevant picture and
send to our friend to look at.
Is that copyright infringement or fair use? If the friend wants to look at
the picture because they are merely interested in it, not if they are
planning on using it commercially. Often I have friends who are looking for
an example of a piece of clothing, so we can go to our costume mistress and
say, "Here is an example of the piece I want to wear."

Sigh. Every time anyone brings up copyright law, people then go on and on about reasons why they personally should get an exemption from it. Your being someone's friend does not give you an exemption, and your offering something to several hundred people via an email list most certainly does not give you an exemption.

Fran