On May 13, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:

I see the internet/emails/ h-costume list as a group of friends.

Whenever I see something about an e-mail list being a group of friends, I imagine sending a party invitation to the entire list... No, not quite. :-) I see many groups with common interests, some members of which are friends, and some are not.

Someone says,"I have a book with an interesting picture." Someone else wants to borrow the book to look at the picture.

Would you loan the book to your local friend? Would you drop it in the mail to someone you've never met, with the understanding they would mail it back when finished with it?

If we were in the same town, the other person could just come to my house and look at the book, but since we live hundreds or thousands of miles apart, we scan the relevant picture and send to our friend to look at.

Or you could get on Skype and hold it up to your web cam for your long-distance friend to see. That way someone can look without making a copy for them.

     -Carol