Well said, Claudine.  Your additional detail describes almost exactly
what I've done.  (One difference: I bone the lining layer at the
closure.)
When worn, the undergarments take all the strain, the lining section
of the bodice keeps the garment fastened and the outer layers can look
like they just blew delicately into place.  That's the trick. It
should look effortless even tho' we all know it takes 100s of hours to
accomplish the feat.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com