I went ahead and used a very spring green for piping on fabric that was a
navy blue with very small white and green flower patterns.  It was a
ctually quite difficult and took me to 3 separate stores to find the
correct green that had enough yellow in it, but it was a great match and
looks really nice, since there is very little ornamentation.  But the
little photo of Mrs. Lincloln's dress will become part of my
documentation for my dress with the contrasting piping.

The double piping sounds really intriguing, I would loveto see a photo or
reference for it.

Yours in cosutming, Lisa A

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:11:24 -0800 Lynn Downward <lynndownw...@gmail.com>
writes:
> I have seen pictures of evening bodices double-piped, once with the
> fashion
> fabric and once with a contrast but, as I recall it was only at the
> waist
> edge. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to pipe an entire
> cotton
> dress with a turkey red that matched exactly the little bit of red
> in my
> pattern. I'm ging to do it anyway at the waist, even for my cotton
> day
> dress.
>
> The not-piping at the back curved seam is in the Laughing Moon
> Mercantile
> 1860s dress. The tuck is on the outside and actually helps with
> fitting the
> back. It's a very pretty addition to an otherwise plain back.
>
> LynnD
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Lisa Ashton <lis...@juno.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you thank thank y ou!!!!!   This is so awesome and it is
> EXACTLY the
> > affirmation I Was looking for.  I"ve never seen where they piped
> the front
> > darts, but it IS quite attractive, and  I may well try it on my
> next
> > go-around with this pattern of dress.  Yours in cosutming, Lisa A

http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/small_exhibition.cfm?key=1267&e
xkey=696&pagekey=710