The Folkwear vest pattern is one of my standards. I've made it for women, men, young, old, small, large and, with a bit of futzing, sized up to xxx-large. The only caveat I have is that the wearer either needs to wear their pants higher than modern standard (easy if you're wearing Victorian period pants) or the vest may need to be cut a trifle longer.

Melusine