""Second, the little research I've done so far indicates that during the
Victorian eras, there were many corset patterns that used gores - yet many
of the current commercial patterns focus on those without. Is there a reason
for this that anyone might be aware of? Is it easier to fit without gores?
Are gored patterns more difficult to make up? Any help in this direction is
also a huge plus!"

    As one member already pointed out the "Victorian" era ran from 1837 until
1901.  A lot of fashion changed happened in those 60 years and
 therefore a lot of corset changes happened in that era.  You can't really make
a "Victorian" corset pattern without attaching some dates to it.
You will also notice that as the era progressed corsets with gores fell out of
popular usage based on looking at surviving originals.  The reason for that
is that as the era went on corsets overwhelmingly became factory made and in a
factory setting gores are fiddly to put in so the shaped seam corsets
became much more typical.  They were simply faster to make in a factory setting
and could be made cheaper for that reason.

For your research though start looking at patents and fashion plates.  Patents
will  only get you so far because they are ideas for corsets that may have
 never even made it into production.  Fashion plates will get you further, but
again, how likely is it that they were ever made.  Your best bet is to start
contacting museums about making arrangements to see the original corsets in
their collections.

 Maggie Halberg