Is it because costume is visual? For your other e-mail lists, are they about visual arts, or can everything be expressed with writing?

When pictures are necessary people post links to them. But I don't think a picture is worth 1,000 words in costume. Usually accompanying words are necessary even for construction information. And, pictures can be not very useful for discussing social-history aspects of costume.

On H-costume, if someone wants to show a finished costume or a project in progress, they need to direct us to a website.

But, there are many things to say about costume other than, "Here's what I am making, do you like it?" That's one reason I like h-costume more than many other groups, it is less focused on personal projects.

I enjoy H-costume as a view into what people are doing in other areas and eras of costume. I like that it comes into my in-box rather than having to go to various blogs or web forums.

I like all that too.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com